About Me

My photo
I am a restless individual. I can't be in something for too long. At some point, I'll be bored. A feeling I'm not comfortable hanging around with. I've always wanted to be a writer. But I can't write as often as I want. And sometimes, words are not that good to me when I need them to be. So now, I tell my story through my photographs. I have a secret love affair with photography. There are things that are just best seen than told. I am independent. I don't appreciate people influencing or telling me what to do/say. I can decide and speak for myself, thank you. I am a traveler. I am constantly somewhere else, either in reality or in fantasy.

August 22, 2012

RIP JMR!



I just came back from a long weekend at home.  Nothing could be more peaceful than spending quality time with loved ones.  Though this weekend for me meant coming home to my family, my heart grieves as one father never reached home.

I was devastated receiving a text message that the airplane of Sec. Jesse Robredo crashed.  I received that message in the middle of the Eucharistic celebration.  I couldn't fathom the butterflies in my stomach and the burden I was feeling, if I would just keep that news to myself.  I had to share it with my dad so we could pray for a positive development.  In between our family time, we always found time to be updated with the result of the search.  As days passed, the glimmer of hope was slowly dying.  

Regrettably, I haven't met the man.  But I know of him because my uncle was once his chief of police in Naga a couple of years ago.  He spoke nothing but good things and kind words of him.  Apparently, he has high respect for the man. 

Many testified that he was a great public servant with unquestionable integrity and humility... A role model for anyone who wants to be a public servant and to the incumbents.  But of all the "testimonies" of his character, the one thing that made me admire him most is that he is a "present father".  Despite his busy schedule, he made it a point that he is with his family during meal time, attends PTA meetings and and is present in his children's activities.  At this point, it made me think of my own dad -- my parents.  

Below is something I scribbled for my parents' testimonial for their church organization.  This was never read during the dinner due to time constraints.  I'd like to share it now because it's timely and apt. 

"Not everyone is privilege to have a great family.  My sister and I are happily among the lucky ones. We grew up in an environment wherein family is always the priority.  Every PTA meeting, most of my games during intramurals, every honor's assembly, every graduation and during my oath-taking, I stand tall and proud beside the reasons why I am where I am now -- my parents.  They have always made themselves available for every activity, every milestone and every achievement we have.  Now that I am nearing my 30s, this fact still remains.  This has been my source of strength to keep on going, trying and believing that anything is possible because I am confident that when things get sour, I just have to look back and I will see you extending your arms eagerly waiting to comfort and reassure me.

More than the material support, I am forever grateful of the emotional and spiritual support.  You have taught us the importance of putting God at the center of our family, of us.  The good Lord is also kind enough to embrace us with His love and to keep us afloat in every situation.  Thank you for holding our hands enough to allow us to make our own decisions, face the consequences and learn from it.  

They say we are what we make of us.  But for me, I am who I am because of your guidance.  Like I always say, children are just trophies, the credit should go more to the parents! 

Cheers to fabulous years of walking with God. I love you both! mwah!"

I admire the strength and composure of Sec. Robredo's daughter.  She has great spirit in coping with the situation.  They have overflowing support and comfort from family and friends.  But when all these end, it will be the time that they will truly feel the emptiness and loneliness.  I just hope that when that time comes, they will remain as strong.

Rest in peace Sec. Robredo! May your good works be continued and that may your dedication and passion inspire a lot more people!

No comments: