About Me

My photo
I am a restless individual. I can't be in something for too long. At some point, I'll be bored. A feeling I'm not comfortable hanging around with. I've always wanted to be a writer. But I can't write as often as I want. And sometimes, words are not that good to me when I need them to be. So now, I tell my story through my photographs. I have a secret love affair with photography. There are things that are just best seen than told. I am independent. I don't appreciate people influencing or telling me what to do/say. I can decide and speak for myself, thank you. I am a traveler. I am constantly somewhere else, either in reality or in fantasy.

January 15, 2011

The Trade Off

A week ago, my officemate posted this on her status at Facebook:

eating alone is kinda sad... watching tv alone is kinda lonely, and a lot weird too especially if you're watching tv/movies crying and laughing alone... living alone is a feat... but oh well, the price of independence is really expensive, but definitely ALL worth everything... good night y'all!

I have to say, I totally agree. I feel this (sad and lonely) most coming home to an empty house after a long day. Bottles of beer and deep conversation would be perfect to cap off the day. If only you have someone to do it with. Like most of us who live alone, at the end of the day, all we have are either the phone, internet/computer, or the remote control! Maybe all of the above, used at the same time! Pathetic but that's our sad reality.

But I absolutely agree too with her second statement. The price of independence is expensive but all worth it. Yes. There's no feeling in the world (so far in my shallow life) better than having control with your time. Seems petty but to me it's everything. Having to lounge all day not doing anything productive. Literally. Not taking a bath til sundown. Watch TV all day, without anyone disturbing you. Come and go as you please without having someone to worry where you've gone to.

My love for time has caused a little bump on the first months or maybe years between my mom and I. I didn't think I needed to do anymore what I was used to doing when I was still living in my parents' house. I recall my mom, sounding so frustrated, trying to contact me at wee hours in the night. Because I am not attached too with my cellphone, so I rarely check on it when I'm out and about. When I finally remember to check on it, I would have several missed calls and text messages which read " Where are you?". I am a kid like that. It still happens once in awhile til now. But they're more tolerant, understanding even.

Independence is indeed a feat. I'm just lucky tho that I didn't have to start from scratch. My parents provided me with all the comfort I'm used to. Then I took off from there. I'm having a great time. But as much as I enjoy this freedom, I find myself flying home every month! Irony. My attachment with my family is just strong. That's something I will never trade off with anything.

No comments: